If you like strawberries, then this Strawberry Buttercream Recipe is for you! It has a great flavor that will go with many different cakes or cupcakes! And it is easy to make since it uses freeze-dried strawberries!
I used freeze-dried strawberries in my recipe because it does not add any additional liquid to the buttercream. It can be tricky to use fresh strawberries because the frosting will become runny if you add enough to get a good strawberry flavor. Using freeze-dried strawberries solves that problem, and you don’t have to wash or cut any berries! You should be able to find them in a grocery store or online.
When you blend the freeze-dried strawberries into a powder it shouldn’t take very long. You don’t want to overdo it otherwise it might start to stick together. There might be a few pieces that are a little bit bigger which is ok, but you want the overall mixture to resemble a powder.
Since this recipe is homemade with real ingredients, it has a really good strawberry flavor. It is not overwhelming or artificial. It is a really nice strawberries and cream vibe, which will go great with a lot of different cake flavors! Or you could even use it on sugar cookies, make chocolate chip cookie sandwiches, etc. You could also use my Strawberry Cream Recipe for a filling!
The Strawberry Buttercream Recipe is below. Since it is a frosting recipe there is no need to adjust for altitude. Hope you enjoy and be sure to leave a comment if you try it out or have any questions!
Strawberry Buttercream Recipe
- 2 cups butter
- 32 oz. powdered sugar (two 16 oz. bags or about 8 cups)
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- 1/4 cup powdered freeze-dried strawberries
- Leave the butter on the counter to soften a bit at room temperature. Or you can place two sticks of butter in the microwave and heat for 9-11 seconds to soften, then repeat with the other two sticks of butter. Once the butter is a little soft but is still firm then it is ready. You should be able to make an indent in the butter if you push firmly.
- Place the butter in your mixing bowl and beat for a few minutes.
- Add about 1 cup of freeze-dried strawberries to your blender and process until it is a powder. Take 1/4 cup of the powder and add it to your butter. Mix until incorporated.
- Open a bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Open the second bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in 3 tbsp of whole milk. Mix until combined.
- Add in the last 3 tbsp of milk and mix until combined. If you need to adjust the consistency add in an additional tbsp of milk at a time.
- Mix the frosting for about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl, then mix for another minute.
- Mix the frosting by hand with a spatula or spoonula for a few seconds to try to get out some of the air bubbles and make sure everything is incorporated.
- Frost your cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc.!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. It will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator, or you could freeze it for up to 3 months.