This Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting recipe is a must have for the fall! You can get your pumpkin spice fix without a coffee, although it does pair well with it! Use the frosting for cakes, cupcakes or cookies!
I don’t know about you, but once the cool weather hits I start to crave fall recipes! Anything with apples, pumpkin or maple syrup! I really like using this frosting recipe for cupcakes in the fall which are easy to share with others. And it is a great option for a bake sale or other event!
The key to this frosting is the pumpkin spice. You can buy pumpkin spice at a store already mixed together, or you could make your own! My recipe for pumpkin spice can be found here. It is very easy to mix up yourself, and that way you can customize it if you would like to!
You could use this frosting with a variety of cake flavors, or a classic vanilla cake. My Vanilla Cake Recipe can be found here. Alternatively, you can pair it with a pumpkin spice cake, or you could put it on some pumpkin bread! There is also not judgement if you just want to have some straight out of the bowl!
The Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting recipe is below. Since it is a frosting recipe there is no need to adjust for altitude. Be sure to leave a comment if you try it out or have any questions!
Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups butter
- 32 oz. powdered sugar (two 16 oz. bags or about 8 cups)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- Leave the butter on the counter to soften a bit at room temperature. Or you can place two sticks of butter in the microwave and heat for 9-11 seconds to soften, then repeat with the other two sticks of butter. Once the butter is a little soft but is still firm then it is ready. You should be able to make an indent in the butter if you push firmly.
- Place the butter in your mixing bowl and beat for a few minutes.
- Open a bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add in the pumpkin spice and mix until combined.
- Open the second bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in 3 tbsp of whole milk. Mix until combined.
- Add in the last 3 tbsp of milk and mix until combined. If you need to adjust the consistency add in an additional tbsp of milk at a time.
- Mix the frosting for about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl, then mix for another minute.
- Mix the frosting by hand with a spatula or spoonula for a few seconds to try to get out some of the air bubbles and make sure everything is incorporated.
- Frost your cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc.!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. It will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator, or you could freeze it for up to 3 months.