This Potato Candy Recipe is a fun dessert to make for St. Patrick’s Day! They look like little “potatoes” but are made with cream cheese, powdered sugar, coconut and coated with cinnamon! And there is no baking required! Something different to bring to a gathering!
I remember the first time I saw a recipe for potato candy. I was in college, and I thought that it would be funny to try to make this dessert. Who wouldn’t want to try out mini potatoes for St. Patrick’s Day? I ended up making them not caring too much if they ended up tasting good or not. However, it turned out that they were a hit! They are something different than the typical desserts you would think of for St. Patrick’s Day. Since then, I have been making them almost every year!
One of the great things about this recipe is that it is pretty easy to make! Just mix together the main ingredients and then coat little potato shapes in cinnamon. Then chill for a few hours and you are ready! If you have kids, this would be a great recipe to have them help with. Might get a little messy, but they would have fun!
The Potato Candy Recipe should be below. Since there is no baking required, there is no need to adjust for altitude! And if you are looking for another dessert for St. Patrick’s Day, check out my recipe for Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake w/ Chocolate Glaze here! I hope you enjoy the recipe! Be sure to leave a comment if you try it out or have any questions!
Potato Candy Recipe
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cookie Scoop (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar (16 oz. bag)
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Set out your baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- In your mixing bowl beat the softened butter and cream cheese together until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and mix for a few more seconds.
- Add in about half of the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla extract then mix.
- Add in the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the shredded coconut and mix. Then mix by hand for a few seconds to make sure everything is incorporated.
- In a small bowl add 1 tbsp of cinnamon.
- Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop out a portion of the cream cheese mixture and shape it into a potato. Then drop it into the bowl with the cinnamon and shake it around until it has been coated.
- Place the "potato" onto the lined baking sheet. Keep going until you have made all of your "potatoes". When you run out of cinnamon add the other 1 tbsp. It doesn't work as well if you have too much cinnamon in the bowl, so only add 1 tbsp at a time.
- Once they have all been made, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Store the "potatoes" in an airtight container. They will last for about 1 week in the refrigerator.