My Maple Date Ice Cream is a great dairy free ice cream recipe! It uses coconut cream and dairy free milk. There is also no refined sugar! It is sweetened with maple syrup, dates, and coconut sugar. This is an easy recipe to make for some alternative homemade ice cream!
I created this recipe because it is really nice to have a dairy free ice cream option. And sometimes the dairy free ice cream at the store is expensive! I also wanted something that didn’t have any cane sugar in it. Sometimes coconut sugar by itself has a different taste, which is why I added in the maple syrup and dates. Also maple syrup just makes everything taste better!
For the dates in this recipe, I buy the dates that are already pitted. If you happen to get the ones with the pits in them, make sure to take those out before you chop them up. Also I prefer the deglet dates, but any kind will work. When chopping them up, it is ok if they clump up a bit in your blender. When you heat the mixture and stir it in the ice cream maker it will come apart.
Instead of milk based products, this recipe has coconut cream. This is typically separated when you take it out of the can. That is why you must heat the ingredients in a sauce pan so they come together. Make sure you don’t heat it too much because then it will take longer to cool. You don’t want it to be hot when you put it in your ice cream maker!
When you take the mixture out of the ice cream maker it will still be a little soft. Just place it in the freezer and let it fully harden for about 12 hours. If you don’t mind the softer texture, feel free to enjoy it right away! No need to wait! Also feel free to top with anything you would like. I opted for some chopped walnuts, which was delicious!
The Maple Date Ice Cream recipe is below. Since it is ice cream, there is just one recipe! I hope you enjoy! Be sure to leave a comment if you try it out or have any questions!
Maple Date Ice Cream - GF, DF, RSF
- Ice Cream Maker
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I used Cashew Oat milk)
- 3 cups coconut cream (four 5.4 oz. cans)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- First chop your dates. You can chop them how you would like, but I used my blender to chop them up pretty small.
- Add all of your ingredients to the sauce pan.
- Over medium heat, occasionally whisk all of the ingredients together until they are all combined. If necessary try to break up the dates if they have clumped up.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and let it cool for about 20 minutes at room temperature. Do not put it in the refrigerator, this might cause the coconut cream to separate again.
- Once it has cooled a bit, add the mixture to your ice cream maker. Let it mix according to your ice cream maker instructions.
- Place in an air tight container and put it in your freezer. Allow it to harden for about 12 hours. It will last for about 3 months in the freezer.
- Serve the ice cream as it is, or top with some walnuts! Enjoy!