I really like the flavor of my Lemon Frosting Recipe! The frosting has a good lemon flavor without being overpowering. I am typically not a big fan of lemon desserts, but this buttercream is an exception! This is an easy frosting to make that will go with many cakes, cupcakes or cookies!
The key to this frosting recipe is the lemon extract or flavoring. Getting a quality flavoring will result in a delicious frosting. I buy organic or non-gmo flavorings at a local natural grocery store. You should be able to find this in a grocery store near you or online. A flavoring that has artificial ingredients will give you a different flavor. Also, using lemon juice will make the frosting too watery, so you really need an extract or flavoring.
Use this recipe as a compliment for a lemon cake! Or you could use it with a classic Vanilla Cake Recipe. It would even go with a Chocolate Cake Recipe, or whatever sounds good to you! Would also make a good frosting for sugar cookies. For decorating I like to use yellow natural sprinkles or lemon slices on top.
The Lemon Frosting Recipe is below. There is no need to adjust for altitude so there is just one! Be sure to leave a comment if you try it out or have any questions!
Lemon Frosting Recipe
- 2 cups butter
- 32 oz. powdered sugar (two 16 oz. bags or about 8 cups)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon extract or flavoring
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- Leave the butter on the counter to soften a bit at room temperature. Or you can place two sticks of butter in the microwave and heat for 9-11 seconds to soften, then repeat with the other two sticks of butter. Once the butter is a little soft but is still firm then it is ready. You should be able to make an indent in the butter if you push firmly.
- Place the butter in your mixing bowl and beat for a few minutes.
- Open a bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in the vanilla extract and lemon extract or flavoring. Mix until combined.
- Open the second bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in 3 tbsp of whole milk. Mix until combined.
- Add in the last 3 tbsp of milk and mix until combined. If you need to adjust the consistency add in an additional tbsp of milk at a time.
- Mix the frosting for about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl, then mix for another minute.
- Mix the frosting by hand with a spatula or spoonula for a few seconds to try to get out some of the air bubbles and make sure everything is incorporated.
- Frost your cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc.!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. It will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator, or you could freeze it for up to 3 months.