If you are a fan of Irish Cream, then this Irish Cream Frosting recipe is for you! You can use it for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. Goes really well with a cup of coffee, tea, or more Irish Cream!
This frosting recipe will go well with many different cake flavors. However, some of my favorite flavors are chocolate and espresso cake. Top the frosting with some chopped chocolate for some extra flavor!
The flavor of this frosting is going to depend on the Irish Cream that you buy. A good quality Irish Cream is going to give a much better flavor. Find one that you like and add it in! After you open the bottle be sure to check if it needs to be refrigerated or not. It depends on the brand of Irish Cream, and it should tell you on the bottle.
The Irish Cream Frosting recipe is below. Since it is a frosting recipe there is no need to adjust for altitude, so there is only one recipe. The recipe will make enough for 24 cupcakes, a 3 layer 6 inch cake or a 2 layer 8 inch cake. If you only need enough for 12 cupcakes, then cut the recipe in half. Hope you enjoy the recipe! Be sure to leave a comment if you try it out or have any questions!
Irish Cream Frosting
- 2 cups butter
- 32 oz. powdered sugar (two 16 oz. bags or about 8 cups)
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp Irish Cream
- Leave the butter on the counter to soften a bit at room temperature. Or you can place two sticks of butter in the microwave and heat for 9-11 seconds to soften, then repeat with the other two sticks of butter. Once the butter is a little soft but is still firm then it is ready. You should be able to make an indent in the butter if you push firmly.
- Place the butter in your mixing bowl and beat for a few minutes.
- Open a bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Open the second bag of powdered sugar and add in about a third of the bag. Mix until combined. Continue until the whole bag is mixed in.
- Add in 3 tbsp of Irish Cream. Mix until combined.
- Add in the last 3 tbsp of Irish Cream and mix until combined. If you need to adjust the consistency add in an additional tbsp of milk at a time.
- Mix the frosting for about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl, then mix for another minute.
- Mix the frosting by hand with a spatula or spoonula for a few seconds to try to get out some of the air bubbles and make sure everything is incorporated.
- Frost your cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc.!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. It will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator, or you could freeze it for up to 3 months.